If you show up to the box regularly, chances are you have been or are sore on a semi regular basis. This article isn’t rocket science. I am sure EVERYONE knows the benefits of what I am about to cover; however, I see many athletes and general fitness enthusiasts who are overlooking at least one of these simple recovery tips. Fortunately, it is 2018, and there a host of resources available to us now which can greatly aid in the recovery process. A few of these strategies include
1. Sunlight We need that big giant ball of fire in small doses for optimal Vitamin D! Try to get at least 30 minutes a day! If you sit inside at work all day, take the workout equipment outside next time you jump into class :)
2. Walking Getting 10,000 steps in on a daily basis has never been more important (Given that we rarely walk anymore and are constantly sitting at a desk).
3. Nutrition Nutrition, like sleep, is highly dependent on the person; but a good place to start is CrossFit’s food recommendation, “base your diet on garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch, and no sugar.” That’s about as simple as you can get.
4. Bodywork Regular massage and/or “body work” is a great way to help increase blood flow to areas that don’t always receive adequate circulation and nutrients. Perhaps most importantly, body work allows you to aggressively target problem areas and to ensure you are performing at the highest level.
5. Sleep Sleep needs are going to vary person to person, whether that means 7 hours or 10 hours. Sleep is your body’s recovery time. Many amazing things happen when you are asleep.
6. Hydrate Yo Self Drinking water has myriad positive health benefits. Drink water, and lots of it.